What makes us different:
Our training programme is an advanced educational process because it takes you through foundation, intermediate to advanced levels of knowledge and skills of hypnotherapy that enable you to practice hypnotherapy for a very wide range of clinical applications to assist your clients in the most powerful and long-lasting ways.
Hypnotherapy training with HTI of the UK consists of an accredited full diploma programme of 4 core training courses (Courses HSLC, CH, AAH, MH) providing you with a total of 200 hours of “hands on”, expert, fully supervised classroom tuition in addition to guided home study. You can also take one or more of these courses individually depending on your professional needs and goals.
Each course teaches you to deal with a wide range of clinical problems. Each course is a stand-alone training which also builds on the other courses to enable you to deal with an increasing number of clinical problems along with problems of increasing difficulty. Training a skilled professional hypnotherapist cannot be achieved in a 7 or 8 day “intensive” or “masterclass” course or an online crash course in clinical hypnosis.
From our background in science and research as well as long history of therapy practice and clinical teaching, we teach you what you actually need to know to be successful with clients so you can get the word-of-mouth referrals that provide the vast majority of clients for a successful hypnotherapist.
You need lots of clinical therapeutic skills, hypnosis techniques, developed traits of an effective therapist and proper clinical and scientific,evidence-based knowledge to become really effective as a hypnotherapist not just rely on questionable marketing and placebo effects which generate short-term effects, at best. Your knowledge needs to be wide-ranging and deep to deal with the complexities of the human mind and the problems the clinical hypnotherapist is asked to confront.
A few, selective “fragments” of long-established therapy systems sometimes packaged and sold as a complete novel training programme, impressive to the beginner student, will only give a superficial glimpse into the world of professional hypnotherapy and the marvellous possibilities and workings of the human mind. A training programme primarily based on a collection of techniques or “tools” can only have limited results and will tend to be effective, long-term, only with less severe problems, as research has shown over 60 years.
Our training programme includes key elements of psychodynamic, cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT), humanistic, existential and many other therapy systems and is not restricted to one particular school of thought or ideological framework. Psychotherapy, as a Western discipline, is an offshoot of 19th Century hypnotherapy and the innately broad philosophical basis of hypnotherapy cannot be restricted to any of the major branches of psychotherapy or their hundreds of competing variants. Hypnotherapy has ancient origins and its philosophy and knowledge base is vast and relates to all aspects of mental functioning and draws upon knowledge derived from many disciplines, including psychology, psychotherapy, psychiatry and many others.
Many different kinds of trainings and qualifications exist in the field of hypnotherapy and paper “qualifications” are relatively easy to obtain from a very large number of regulatory and accrediting bodies. Hypnotherapy is an unregulated profession, and successive UK governments over 40 years have stated that they do not wish to create a statutorily regulated profession for Hypnotherapy. HTI personnel have been at the forefront of the development of standards since 1986 in the UK and also subsequently in other countries.
At HTI of the UK, you learn the essential skills, techniques and principles from Dr John Butler that have helped thousands of everyday clients, dozens of celebrities and many high-level performers in business and performing arts to achieve their goals over more than 30 years. Dr. John Butler’s success has gained much recognition by the media who have invited him to speak as an expert in many unsolicited interviews on major TV and Radio networks over 30 years. His training is completely dedicated to passing on all of his highly effective Hypnotherapy methods to students who are eager to become skilled hypnotherapists themselves.
OUR TECHNIQUES AND THERAPEUTIC APPROACH
On our courses we will teach you hypnotherapy with our own, advanced system of suggestion programming called BreakThrough Programming™ for producing powerful therapeutic effects efficiently and with lasting results.
You also learn in-depth the Transforming Therapy™ system of comprehensive analytical hypnotherapy created by Gil Boyne which together with Dave Elman’s Hypnoanalysis has laid the foundation for the great majority of what is taught in most serious Hypnotherapy trainings in the UK and worldwide. This approach to hypnotherapy is radically different from the “basic suggestion therapy combined with progressive relaxation” approach to hypnotherapy or very simplified, fragmentary forms of “hypnoanalysis” that tend to produce very short-term improvements in clients. HTI has taught the work of Gil Boyne and Dave Elman for decades to thousands of students and our publishing house, Westwood Publishing, is the sole publisher for all of the Boyne and Elman published writings and recordings. HTI is the main centre for learning Transforming Therapy™ and is the official centre, licensed by Gil Boyne to continue to teach his rapid, deep-acting method of therapy.
HTI, with its base in the UK, is a genuinely international organisation conducting physical training courses in many countries. Training with HTI of the UK therefore also allows you to achieve certification not only with various registers and accrediting organisations that exist in the self-regulation field of hypnotherapy in the UK but also with various other international organisations outside the UK who often require lengthier training in clinical hypnotherapy than is traditionally required in the UK.
- Our training programme is not a brief or superficial hypnotherapy course nor a combination of “mind-therapy” methods that lack any substantial clinical or research evidence.
- We call our training Advanced Hypnotherapy Training because it goes far beyond “relaxation and basic suggestion-giving” therapy, simplistic forms of “hypnoanalysis” or hypnosis combined with some basic elements of traditional psychotherapy systems such as cognitive-behaviour therapy, cognitive-analytical therapy, psychoanalysis, etc. The latter combinatory approach has been termed “hypno-psychotherapy” and while it has its own established place in the field of counselling and other “talk therapies” it does not constitute a comprehensive and integrated approach to hypnotherapy based on classical hypnotherapy and its various modern developments. Hypnotherapy as a healing art in Western culture has a history of over 200 years, with a very broad and deep philosophical and practical basis, and gave rise to the field of psychotherapy which is an offshoot of Hypnotherapy. They are related disciplines but also substantially different and each requires its own comprehensive training for the practitioner to be effective.
- We do not offer certification for minimal training. Such dubious certification is only “recognised” by a variety of regulatory bodies with minimal standards of education. There are many competing systems of accreditation and regulation in the field of hypnotherapy, with wide variations in approaches and standards, and no consensus yet established regarding the minimum standards or “best practice” requirements in hypnotherapy.
- We do not use non-hypnotherapy methods to occupy the teaching time; as little as 50 hours or less of classroom training is often devoted to the hypnotherapy component of many courses in the UK. In some courses, introductory-level concepts from conventional psychotherapy training (psychoanalytic, CBT, etc) are used as the conceptual basis of the training programme or to fill out the hours of training so that the training is actually an abbreviated psychotherapy training that uses hypnosis as an adjunct to the psychotherapy approach rather than primarily hypnotherapy itself.
- HTI’s training programme is not a correspondence or online-only course. While personal study and reliable online information are very valuable assets, these learning methods alone cannot provide an adequate training for professional clinical practice of in-depth hypnotherapy.
- Our training programme provides the student with methods far in advance of the “relaxation and script-reading” forms of hypnotherapy. This very commonly-taught form of hypnotherapy is more accurately described as a very elementary form of “suggestion” therapy. This does not incorporate the sophisticated procedures of analytical hypnotherapy and other methods
- We offer advanced analytical hypnotherapy, an approach which is far more comprehensive than older forms of hypnoanalysis which were overwhelmingly based on early psychoanalytical methods.
- HTI’s course content is not dominated by intellectual theoretical speculation but on the best-established theoretical principles, scientific evidence and highly practical methods of clinical practice, which have been shown to produce consistent results over a long period of time.
- This specialised course teaches clinical hypnosis independently from NLP, a system based primarily on interpretations of Milton Erickon’s clinical hypnotherapy, Fritz Perls’ Gestalt therapy and Virginia Satir’s psychotherapy. To become effective as a hypnotherapist requires a comprehensive training in hypnotherapy separately from the study of many different systems such as NLP, EFT, TFT, EMDR, etc. Hypnotherapy has been the foundation for a great many therapy and coaching systems and a comprehensive training in hypnotherapy equips a graduate to learn such adaptations and techniques most efficiently and deliver them most effectively to clients.